Please Note: US citizenship or permanent residency is required for this position.
At CesiumAstro, we are developers and pioneers of out-of-the-box communication systems for satellites, UAVs, launch vehicles, and other space and airborne platforms. We take pride in our dynamic and cross-functional work environment, which allows us to learn, develop, and engage across our organization. If you are looking for hands-on, interactive, and autonomous work, CesiumAstro is the place for you. We are actively seeking passionate, collaborative, energetic, and forward-thinking individuals to join our team.
We are looking to add a Spacecraft Embedded Software Engineer to our team. If you are great at what you do, enjoy working in a startup environment, and are passionate about developing software for leading-edge communications satellites, we would like to hear from you.
In this position, you will contribute to the embedded software requirements analysis and planning, to the test development from basic unit to system level. This role will require forecasting and performing software qualification tests and writing test reports for developing software for our satellite flight software. Your work will include software to simulate, monitor, and control spacecraft subsystems such as attitude, command and data handling, navigation, thermal, and power. The ideal candidate will be a generalist in spacecraft embedded software, motivated to develop every aspect of space mission software from embedded control algorithms to simulation deployment and front ends.
As a Cesium spacecraft team member, you will work on a small team to develop satellites and put them in orbit. You will be responsible for software design to include initial architecture and block diagrams, requirements definition, implementation, code review, validation and verification, and Monte Carlo mission analysis. You will need to identify simplifying solutions to simulate complex problems and explain key results and decisions to the team as well as be knowledgeable of embedded software integration and test activities to implement on our satellite testing and upcoming launch.
CesiumAstro is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran status, or disability status.
We provide generous benefits and stock option package to all our employees.
Successful candidates will require, as a minimum:
- Bachelor of Science (BS), Master of Science (MS), or Doctorate (Ph.D.) degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or Electrical and Computer Engineering.
- Minimum of 2 years of industry or project experience in embedded software development
- A strong understanding of space missions from conception through flight and disposal
- Knowledge of low-level and high-level software in spacecraft products through all phases of the development process.
- Direct technical experience with C and C++, and proficiency in Python or other languages in an aerospace context
- Experience at multiple levels of the software stack: bare-metal microcontrollers, RTOS on system-on-chip, drivers, end-use applications, and user interfaces
- Experience with attitude dynamics, coordinate frame transformations, vector mathematics, radiative heat transfer, spacecraft propulsion, space communication systems, and power systems
- Familiarity with spacecraft mission design including events, pointing modes, maneuver planning, operations, C&DH, and communication systems
- Experience with communication protocols such as TCP/IP, I2C, and SPI for use in software-in-the-loop and hardware-in-the-loop lab development and for use in space flight
- Ability to implement physical first-principles as scripts or spreadsheets
- Experience with processes for a software release, revisioning, and continuous integration.
- Familiarity with configuration management tools, defect tracking tools and peer reviews.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
Preferred experience includes:
- Familiarity with space mission simulation tools such as STK, Basilisk, GMAT, or FreeFlyer
- CubeSat and SmallSat experience
- Hands-on experience with spacecraft instrumentation, subsystems, and test labs
- Experience with multiple mission simulation and flight architectures that drive your vision for the next generation of space software.
- Experience with Buildroot, kubOS, or GraphQL