Goodwill Houston is a non-profit organization that serves people who need help people who have barriers to employment - people who are looking for a new start. We are proud that we are a second chance employer. Our success comes from our Goodwill Family, the honest, passionate and innovative Team Members who assist our customers and donors, keep our locations clean and inviting, while being advocate for or mission every day.
Goodwill is a place to belong, a place to make a difference and a place that "Changes Lives Through the power of Work."
The Apparel Sorter position provides an opportunity, in a retail setting, to excel in a growing, fast paced, customer/donor focused role, working both independently and as a member of a team, to positively impact the lives of others.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Responsible for sorting soft goods (clothing, linens, etc.) according to GWH guidelines to maximize productivity for the Tagger-Hangers.
- Must carefully inspect all items to ensure they meet GWH quality standards.
- Ability to work quickly to meet required GWH production standards, five (5) to seven (7) duros per shift.
- Provide excellent customer service.
- Greet each customer and assist with basic questions about store operations and merchandise as needed.
- Assist with keeping production supplies available.
- Assist with loading and unloading merchandise as needed.
- Receive and record donations as needed.
- Assist with sorting donations according to GWH guidelines as assigned.
- Notify Manager of low or overstocked merchandise.
- Assist with the security and safety of GWH Team Members and property.
- Assist in floor recovery as needed.
- Perform necessary janitorial work.
- Demonstrate professionalism and presents a friendly, cooperative attitude.
- Ability to multi-task, make quick decisions and work in a team oriented, fast paced environment.
- Must be punctual and have dependable attendance.
- Must conduct work in a safe manner; maintain good housekeeping standards, have all aisles and pathways to fire exists clear and free from clutter, keep work areas neat and clean.
- Must report all work incidents and injuries immediately.
- Adheres to all GWH policies and procedures.
- Performs other duties as assigned by Management.
- Ability to communicate and interact well with a variety of personality types.
- Poses excellent customer service skills.
- Retail sales experience is preferred.
- High school diploma or equivalent preferred.
- Ability to work a flexible schedule.
- Must have reliable transportation.
Physical Requirements/Work Environment:
The ability to stand, twist, bend, squat, reach, kneel, push and pull. Able to lift, up to, 40 lbs. and, occasionally, lift/move items, up to, 100 lbs. (e.g. large bags of donations, televisions, furniture, etc.) Must be able to stand for extended periods of time.