Good storytelling starts with great listening. At Audible, that means each role and every project has our audience in mind. Because the same people who design, develop, and deploy our products also happen to use them. To us, that speaks volumes.
ABOUT THIS ROLE
As a Software Development Engineer, it’s up to you to define, design and refine the tech that keeps us one step ahead of listeners. Anticipate. Innovate. Bring challenging ideas and we’ll support you with the latest tech, tools and systems that you need to succeed. You’ll be essential in ensuring the team can reach their potential; working closely with them, reviewing their work, mentoring, and supporting them to develop. Together, you’ll build and maintain our platform to bring thousands of stories to millions of listeners and unleash the power of the human voice.
You feel pride in every step forward, however big, or small; to you, each challenge represents a well-executed venture to support our listeners. If you’re looking to build on your skills and grow into a leader, this is your next step. We look for people who take responsibility, set their standards high and see every failure as an opportunity to learn. You’re looking for an environment where you can thrive. With opportunities to challenge yourself and a talented team by your side, you’ll find what you’re looking for at Audible.
As a Software Development Engineer, you will...
· Play a leading role in building and maintaining the infrastructure for Enterprise Data Platforms, using software engineering best practices, data management fundamentals, data storage principles, recent advances in distributed systems and data streaming, and operational excellence best practices.
· Work closely with product owners and engineers across the company to instrument key data elements.
· Design, build, and support platforms for monitoring and surfacing data quality issues.
· Integrate different technologies to provide data lineage and visibility.
· Effectively communicate with various teams and stakeholders, escalate technical and managerial issues at the right time and resolve conflicts.
· Demonstrate passion for quality and productivity by use of efficient development techniques, standards and guidelines
· Peer reviews of work. Actively mentor more junior members of the team, improving their skills, their knowledge of our systems and their ability to get things done.
· Set the technical direction and strategy within the team and strategize to influence technology across Audible and beyond.
· Mentor and lead developers by cultivating curiosity and deep technical understanding.
· Programming experience with at least one modern language such as Java, C++, or C# including object-oriented design
· 1+ years of experience contributing to the architecture and design (architecture, design patterns, reliability and scaling) of new and current systems.
· 2+ years of non-internship professional software development experience
· Bachelor’s degree or higher in Computer Science or related field.
· 5+ years of professional software development experience.
· Experience in Adobe Experience Manager components including data collection.
· Knowledge of Adobe products: Analytics, Target, Campaign, DTM, Data Workbench, as well as the wider Marketing Cloud.
· Strong problem-solving skills with the ability to navigate highly complex and ambiguous situations.
· Ability to work independently with little supervision and successfully resolve ambiguity.
· Willingness to learn, be open minded to new ideas and different opinions yet knowing when to stop, analyze, and reach a decision.
· Well-rounded engineering skills; full-stack development experience - web + services - If you've built something in your spare time send us the link, we'd love to hear about it.
· Great communication skills - ability to think creatively and adapt the message to the audience. Can provide information to technical and non-technical stakeholders alike and guide them to confidently informed decisions.
· Strong data-oriented skills with knowledge of Core Data and database design.
· Prior use of AWS technologies at scale in a production environment.
· Familiarity with big data technologies (Hadoop, Hive, Spark, etc.).
· Experience working with Agile methodologies.
At Audible, we innovate and inspire through the power of voice. We're changing the narrative on storytelling. As a leading producer and provider of audio storytelling and spoken-word entertainment, we've redefined the ways people access, discover, and share stories. The stories we tell have the ability to transport and transform everyday moments into meaningful experiences and it's our people who make Audible's service possible. We're listeners, storytellers, and problem-solvers. Our perspectives and experiences power our ideas and come together in our mission to unleash the power of the spoken word.
Audible is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Audible is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.