Good storytelling starts with great listening. At Audible, that means each role and every project has our audience in mind. Because the same people who design, develop, and deploy our products also happen to use them. To us, that speaks volumes.
ABOUT THIS ROLE
As a Software Development Engineer, it’s up to you to define, design and refine the tech that keeps us one step ahead of listeners. Anticipate. Innovate. Bring challenging ideas and we’ll support you with the latest tech, tools and systems that you need to succeed. You’ll be essential in ensuring the team can reach their potential; working closely with them, reviewing their work, mentoring, and supporting them to develop. Together, you’ll build and maintain our platform to bring thousands of stories to millions of listeners and unleash the power of the human voice.
You feel pride in every step forward, however big, or small; to you, each challenge represents a well-executed venture to support our listeners. If you’re looking to build on your skills and grow into a leader, this is your next step. We look for people who take responsibility, set their standards high and see every failure as an opportunity to learn. You’re looking for an environment where you can thrive. With opportunities to challenge yourself and a talented team by your side, you’ll find what you’re looking for at Audible.
As a Senior Software Development Engineer, you will...
· Design, develop, and test software components and applications for the largest creator and provider of audiobooks in the world.
· Work on an agile engineering team writing maintainable and scalable code for software components and influencing team decisions.
· Collaborate with stakeholders to imagine, design, develop, test, and launch software that impacts our customers and inspires your peers.
· Use technology to solve difficult problems. Define a design, turn it into high quality code, and deliver it on schedule. Proficient in a broad range of data structures and algorithms, knowing when it is (and isn’t) appropriate to use them.
· Independently clarify technical requirements, assessing development estimates and apply a broad range of design approaches.
· Review code of other team members and provide constructive direction.
· Drive continuous improvement of software quality, customer experience, and maintainability of products/features.
· Mentor and lead developers by cultivating curiosity and deep technical understanding.
· Programming experience with at least one modern language such as Java, C++, or C# including object-oriented design
· 1+ years of experience contributing to the architecture and design (architecture, design patterns, reliability and scaling) of new and current systems.
· 2+ years of non-internship professional software development experience
· Experience writing clear, maintainable and extensible code.
· Strong problem-solving skills with the ability to navigate highly complex and ambiguous situations.
· Ability to work independently with little supervision and successfully resolve ambiguity.
· Willingness to learn, be open minded to new ideas and different opinions yet knowing when to stop, analyze, and reach a decision.
· Full-stack development experience - web + services - If you've built something in your spare time send us the link, we'd love to hear about it.
· Ability to think creatively and adapt messages to the audience.
· Able to provide information to technical and non-technical stakeholders alike and guide them to confidently informed decisions.
· Knowledge of Core Data and database design.
· Prior use of AWS technologies at scale in a production environment.
· Familiarity with big data technologies (Hadoop, Hive, Spark, etc.).
· Experience working with Agile methodologies.
At Audible, we innovate and inspire through the power of voice. We're changing the narrative on storytelling. As a leading producer and provider of audio storytelling and spoken-word entertainment, we've redefined the ways people access, discover, and share stories. The stories we tell have the ability to transport and transform everyday moments into meaningful experiences and it's our people who make Audible's service possible. We're listeners, storytellers, and problem-solvers. Our perspectives and experiences power our ideas and come together in our mission to unleash the power of the spoken word.
Audible is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Audible is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.