Good storytelling starts with great listening. At Audible, that means each role and every project has our audience in mind. Because the same people who design, develop, and deploy our products also happen to use them. To us, that speaks volumes.
ABOUT THE PROGRAM
The Next Chapter program at Audible is a 16-week paid returnship for experienced professionals returning to the workforce after taking time off for caregiving. The program is open to individuals who have at least 2 years of professional experience and have been out of the paid workforce for at least 1 year to focus on caring for a child or other dependent and is not currently in a university program.
At Audible, we are excited to launch the Next Chapter program because we appreciate the skills you can offer, the perspective you provide, and the contributions you will make. This program offers you a chance to revamp your skills, update your resume with new experience, and make connections with other women and men transitioning back to the workforce. It also offers support through Path Forward, a nonprofit organization on a mission to empower people who’ve been focused on caregiving transition back to the paid workforce.
This 16-week Returnship program is 100% virtual. Upon successful completion of the Returnship, there is a possibility of an offer for full-time employment. We have fully remote roles or roles based in our Newark, NJ, Cambridge, MA or LA hubs.
ABOUT THIS ROLE
As a Software Development Engineer, it’s up to you to define, design and refine the tech that keeps us one step ahead of listeners. Anticipate. Innovate. Bring challenging ideas and we’ll support you with the latest tech, tools, and systems that you need to succeed. We pride ourselves on our ability to imagine and invent solutions to problems of the future and you’ll be essential in this forward-thinking approach to development. Together with the team, you’ll build and maintain our platform to bring thousands of stories to millions of listeners and unleash the power of the human voice.
ABOUT THE TEAM
This opportunity is within Audible’s Data Engineering group. The Data Engineering group owns technology platforms and datasets that enable systems and people to uncover new insights and fine-tune operations to meet business goals. We need your help designing and building these.
· A great communicator who can adapt their message to ensure understanding from multiple stakeholders.
· A detail-oriented problem-solver who enjoys the process of scratching beneath the surface to find the best solution to challenges.
· Curious and unafraid to ask questions to gain deeper understanding.
· Adaptable team player who brings their best to every interaction and inspires the same in others.
· Passionate about bringing your skills to Audible while being open and eager to learn new things.
As a Software Development Engineer, you will...
· Contribute to the development of the technical direction and strategy within the team and help influence technology across Audible and beyond.
· Assist in developing solutions, web solutions and services: Envisioning, designing, creating, and supporting our solutions that operate with a high degree of operational excellence.
· Partner with a cross-functional team to imagine, design, develop, test, and launch software that wows our community and inspires our peers. Be willing to explore technical needs and bring problems AND solutions to the table.
· Constantly strive to raise the bar on engineering excellence.
· Take advantage of the resources, training and experts around you to- stay up to date with tools, trends, technologies and frameworks both industry-wide and within Amazon and then share that knowledge in a meaningful way with the community.
· A Bachelor’s degree or higher in Computer Science, Engineering, Mathematics, Physics, or a related field.
· Proficiency in functional programming languages (e.g. Python) as well as declarative programming languages (e.g. SQL, SPARQL)
· 2+ years of hands on experience in working on data-centric systems using MPP Database technologies and Hadoop, Spark, Kafka or AWS equivalents.
· Understanding of processing and modeling large, complex data sets for Analytical use cases with Database technologies such as AWS Redshift, Teradata or equivalent.
· Familiarity with AWS cloud technologies such as Elastic Map Reduce (EMR), Kinesis, Athena.
· Familiarity with BI and Visualization platforms such as MicroStrategy and AWS Quicksight.
· Ability to communicate effectively and work independently with little supervision to deliver on time quality products.
· Willingness to learn, be open minded to new ideas and different opinions yet knowing when to stop, analyze, and reach a decision.
At Audible, we innovate and inspire through the power of voice. We're changing the narrative on storytelling. As a leading creator and provider of premium audio storytelling, we've redefined the ways people access, discover, and share stories. The stories we tell have the ability to transport and transform everyday moments into meaningful experiences and it's our people who make Audible's service possible. We're listeners, storytellers, and problem-solvers. Our perspectives and experiences power our ideas and come together in our mission to unleash the power of the spoken word.
Audible is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Audible is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.