Expeditors is looking for a software developer to help us build our emerging warehouse management system. (See more details in the Description section below.)
The team you would be joining is doing green-field development work on a warehouse management system for our global network of transportation warehouses. You would be making a difference for end users in hundreds of warehouses around the world. The web application runs on Android-based mobile scanning devices, as well as on PC's. The system is widely used, but still in its infancy. Much functionality still needs to be built to handle all aspects of our warehouse operations in multiple countries. Our team works regularly with our end users across the globe to determine their greatest needs. Each new feature that is released is well-received by a hungry audience.
WORKING ON OUR TEAM – WHAT TO EXPECT:
You would be part of one of two small agile teams that are working on the transportation warehouse management system. Each team typically has 2-3 developers, plus 1-2 QA engineers, a Product Owner, and a Scrum Master. There is also a UX designer, SDET, an architect, and a Program Manager that work with both teams.
Your first weeks
We would get you set up with your development environment, and start to show you around the system. Various members of the team would train you on different aspects of the software and the business. You would probably start out with some smaller bugs to work on to get your feet wet, and then start to take on larger stories.
What a typical work day looks like
Outside of our short daily scrum meetings, developers spend most of their time ither developing, or collaborating with other team members. During each two-week sprint there are meetings for backlog grooming, sprint planning, a sprint demo, and a retrospective.
Our team encourages people to take the time to help others, both within our team and across the organization. This provides opportunities to learn from many people, and makes work a more enjoyable place. We want our team members to love their job and feel supported by each other. We believe in a reasonable work/life balance, and go out of our way to provide employees with a stable place to grow their careers. We view failure as an opportunity to learn. We strive to provide help when asked, but avoid micromanaging. We favor decentralized decision making whenever possible. We value diversity in all its forms, and believe it makes for a more successful team. We make our hiring decisions irrespective of age, gender, disability, sexual orientation, race, religion, or belief.
We are looking for talented people who are excited about what they do and who want to be part of a collaborative team. We realize that everyone comes with a unique collection of skills that don't usually align perfectly with job postings. If you feel that you don't exactly fit the criteria below but would still be a good fit, let us know!
- A bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or related field of study, or equivalent experience
- Solid Java coding abilities
- At least 2 years in a software development role in a team environment
- Experience with web development
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience with:
- Object oriented analysis and design
- Relational database concepts and SQL
- Customer service-oriented attitude and great time-management skills
- Leadership experience
- Spring, Spring Boot, and dependency injection
- Web-based and service-based architectures and deployment paradigms
- Experience with IntelliJ, Maven, GitLab, and GitLab CI/CD pipelines
- Operating systems including Linux, preferable RHEL7
- Experience with Event Driven Architecture, Domain Driven Design, CQRS
- Android Studio, Apache Cordova
- Docker, Kubernetes
Position is full time (40 hours per week) Monday through Friday. We are a business professional attire company.
Expeditors offers excellent benefits:
- Paid Vacation, Holiday, Sick Time
- Health Plan: Medical, Prescription Drug, Dental and Vision
- Life and Long Term Disability Insurance
- 401(k) Retirement Savings Plan
- Employee Stock Purchase Plan
- Training and Personnel Development Program