Good storytelling starts with great listening. At Audible, that means each role and every project has our audience in mind. Because the same people who design, develop, and deploy our products also happen to use them. To us, that speaks volumes.
ABOUT THIS ROLE
This opportunity is for a Director of Software Development who will manage and grow one or more engineering teams for Audible’s Data Science Engineering group. We are embarking on a mission to reshape the fundamental experiences and delight our global customers and drive a strong engineering culture. It's our responsibility to push Audible into new places; wherever our customers are listening. Achieving this vision means expanding and strengthening our development process, how we work and leveraging new technologies to deliver services and web applications. We need your help to develop and deliver next generation tooling that can advance Audible’s global vision to leverage data and model driven approaches in enhancing our customer experiences. Success means we lay the foundation for continued expansion of our company without disrupting an already tremendously successful and much loved project.
ABOUT THE TEAM
Data science Engineering Team is responsible for developing tools and platforms that enable Data scientists across Audible to seamlessly build and deploy machine learning models that can predict the customer behavior; we are also responsible for the development of tools that enable content predictions to elevate customer experience. In addition, this team oversees fraud detection capabilities to ensure that Audible’s content is not abused by fraudulent actors.
As a Manager of Software Development, you will...
· Owning and leading full life cycle delivery of cross functional projects spanning teams across Audible and Amazon.
· Drive development and operational excellence of our flagship solutions.
· Coach and mentor our high-performing engineers to help them grow their skills, enhance their knowledge of our systems and their ability to get things done.
· Partner with cross-functional teams to imagine, design, develop, test, and launch software that wows our community and inspires our peers.
· Constantly strive to raise the bar on delivery performance and quality in a fast agile environment.
· Lead 1-2 Scrum teams.
· 7+ years of experience working directly within engineering teams
· Experience partnering with product OR program management teams
· 3+ years of people management experience, managing engineers
· 3+ years of experience architecting and designing (architecture, design patterns, reliability and scaling) of new and current systems
· Experience leading full stack development web teams.
· 5+ years experience of software development and deployment of distributed multi-tier applications.
· 3+ years experience managing agile software projects across multiple and geographically distributed teams.
· Demonstrated expertise in a variety of web and SOA distributed technologies and platforms such as Java/J2EE.
· Demonstrated experience implementing solutions leveraging AWS capabilities.
· Past experience leveraging machine learning models to deliver insights and enrich customer experiences is highly preferred.
· Action-oriented strategic thinker.
· Be able to thrive in an ambiguous environment - where change is the only constant.
· Detailed oriented to ensure that project success is paramount.
· Strong verbal and communication skills.
· Strong analytical skills and an out of the box thinker.
· Self-starter with the ability to multi-task and work in a very fast paced environment.
· Track record of defining and delivering cross functional solutions that are innovative and extensible.
· Be able to disagree, yet align, when dealing with different stakeholders.
· Results oriented and with a strong customer focus.
· Highly autonomous. Delivers with little guidance.
· Strong mentor of peers and subordinates.
At Audible, we innovate and inspire through the power of voice. We're changing the narrative on storytelling. As a leading creator and provider of premium audio storytelling, we've redefined the ways people access, discover, and share stories. The stories we tell have the ability to transport and transform everyday moments into meaningful experiences and it's our people who make Audible's service possible. We're listeners, storytellers, and problem-solvers. Our perspectives and experiences power our ideas and come together in our mission to unleash the power of the spoken word.
Audible is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Audible is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.