CODING SPECIALIST II
Baltimore, Maryland, US
Category: Business and Financial Operations Occupations
Published on 2021-11-22T22:10:15.000000Z
Bring your expertise to Mercy Medical Center located just six-blocks from Baltimore's Inner Harbor by joining our Health Information Team as a Remote Coding Specialist I. Founded in 1874, Mercy Medical Center is one of two health systems in the state of Maryland named a "Best Employer" by Forbes Magazine. By joining Mercy Medical Center, you become part of not only an organization but a family, dedicated to providing the highest standards of care and serving all individuals with courtesy, respect and compassion.
As a Remote Coding Specialist II you are responsible for independently coding and abstracts clinical information from outpatient, inpatient and in our observation surgical records for the purpose of reimbursement, research and compliance with federal, state and other agencies utilizing established coding principles and protocols.
Must be able to attend quarterly on-site meetings in the Baltimore, Maryland area.
- One of the following certifications:
- RHIT: Registered Health Information Technician
- RHIA: Registered Health Information Administrator
- CCS: Certified Coding Specialist
- CCS-P: Certified Coding Specialist Physician-based
- CCA: Certified Coding Associate
- CPC-H: Certified Professional Coder Hospital-based
- CPC: Certified Professional Coder
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Computer proficiency and technical aptitude with the ability to utilize one or more of the following: Microsoft Word, Power Point, Excel, Microsoft Outlook, Meditech (if applicable to position), Epic (if applicable to position), Performance Manager/NetLearning
- Must be able to read, write, and speak the English language in an understandable manner.
- Must be able to work independently and possess the ability to make independent decisions when circumstances warrant such action.
- Must possess the ability to effectively communicate and deal tactfully with other personnel, visitors, patients, physicians, customers, and the general public.
- Must be flexible, have personal integrity, and the ability to function effectively as a team with other employees.
- Must be able to follow written and oral instructions.
- ICD, CPT, and HCPCS Coding, encoder technology, knowledge of third party payer requirements helpful, Meditech familiarity is desirable.
- Must be a self-starter with the ability to work independently.
Education and Work Experience:
- Must possess a high school diploma or GED
- Associate's Degree in Health Information Management or related field from an accredited two-year college or technical school, or Bachelor's Degree from a four-year college or university in Health Information Management or in a related field or have a Certified Coding Specialist (CCS), Certified Coding Associate (CCA), Certified Coding Specialist Physician-based (CCS-P), Certified Professional Coder Hospital Outpatient (CPC-H) or Certified Professional Coder (CPC) designation.
- Minimum of one year acute care facility coding experience.