Category: Support Services
Department: Med/Surg & BHC
Under the supervision and delegation of a Registered Nurse or the Licensed Practical Nurse the Patient Sitter assists in providing observation, companionship and assistance with specific patient care needs for the assigned patient(s). Duties include a variety of tasks including some direct patient care to enhance comfort and satisfaction of the patient(s). Demonstrates excellent customer service.
1. BLS Heartsaver required within 90 days of hire.
2. Crisis management/restraint training required within 90 days from date of hire.
1. A. High school diploma or GED required.
B. College nursing student or retired nursing professional preferred
1. Able to transfer up to 125 pounds, with assistance, while lifting, positioning, and transferring patients.
2. Able to push and pull patients, weighting up to 350 pounds, with assistance, in wheelchairs or carts. Able to sit or stand for long periods of time. Able to bend, stoop and squat as required to reach lower drawers, adjust patient lines etc. Able to reach over head to obtain supplies.
3. Able to wear gloves and other protective equipment.
4. Clear speech reading and hearing skills are required continuously to communicate with patients and co-workers.
5. Has far-sighted visual acuity with correction to 20/40 Snellen chart to identify patients, call lights, provide supervision, etc. Near sighted visual acuity needed to read written material, thermometers, assess patients, monitor equipment, etc.