What you'll do...
Leaders and individual contributors alike look to our Global People teams to influence strategy, optimize working models and enable the business to achieve results while preserving the fabric that sets us apart and keeps our 1.3M associates coming to work every day. By providing the necessary tools and insights, our People professionals operate as partners at every phase of workforce planning, talent management, organizational design and change management. From building communities to preparing Walmart for the future, to be a member of this team is to operate as a vital component to our sustainable success. Together, we think beyond the status-quo and inspire others to evoke positive change. When you join us in Global People, you immerse yourself in our culture, becoming a trailblazer and a true agent of influence.
What you'll do...
As the Director, Learning and Development Architecture, you will build and lead a team of talent architects, learning curators, and instructional designers, providing day-to-day coaching for the team and ensuring quality of all new learning created. You will work with procurement to identify, evaluate and onboard third-party learning partners/vendors to augment team capacity and niche learning content requirements, helping achieve scale at speed when needed. You will be constantly researching and learning the latest in adult-learning theory and learning modalities to ensure the team is providing best-in-class, modern, and future-proof learning content. You will also contribute as a seasoned learning architect, owning a small project portfolio in addition to management responsibilities.
The ideal candidate for the role will be an innovative, collaborative, and progressive leader with exceptional business acumen and the ability to translate business challenges into actionable solutions in a highly complex, rapidly evolving environment. You are someone who builds trust and credibility and inspires associates across the business. You are action-oriented, resourceful, and approachable while also having the ability to influence and lead significant change.
You’ll sweep us off our feet if you:
- Demonstrate exceptional coaching abilities, helping develop and engage a critical team of experts.
- Possess the ability to design transformational learning with an associate centered lens
- Have strong experience in adult learning theory, instructional design, and facilitation
- Possess excellent communication skills and an ability to influence a variety of audiences
- Collaborate across multiple segments
- Build constructive and effective relationships with a broad and diverse group of business partners
- Have experience working within agile methodologies
You’ll make an impact by:
- Developing training development strategies by evaluating business needs and desired outcomes; serving as a learning and development subject matter expert; evaluating the business impact of different training practices; overseeing the testing of different training approaches and evaluating the results; providing guidance and direction regarding training methods, Academy processes, and data management processes; leading relationships with key
business partners to ensure roles and responsibilities are understood; and ensuring training feedback is reviewed and incorporated into future plans and strategies.
- Overseeing the strategy for the development of digital and physical training material by ensuring the development of solutions for implementation issues; overseeing and ensuring post-editing and formatting of content according to delivery limitations; driving brand consistency and best practices; understanding and determining various media formats and delivery options; and overseeing and ensuring the cross-training of team members on various techniques.
- Driving the management of assigned training projects by overseeing the development and execution of capacity planning; overseeing the creation of business and systems documents; acting as a subject matter expert for issues related to techniques for training content development and delivery; driving recommendations on digital training asset opportunities; addressing and providing solutions for project changes and issues; and updating executive leadership on projects.
- Overseeing associate development by mentoring and teaching team members; assigning and overseeing tasks; and reviewing and approving recommended solutions.
- Directing the development of training programs, performance support tools, and resources by overseeing the research of learner needs, learning environments, knowledge gaps, and behavioral changes in conjunction with other areas of learning and development; creating blended learning options; analyzing needs analysis; evaluating current learning solutions; developing adaptation methods for course content to meet training, education, and development needs; developing and recommending process standards and best practices to drive consistency across the company; influencing leadership and gaining buy-in to implement training programs; and ensuring alignment with technology and business support infrastructure.
- Providing overall direction by analyzing business objectives and customer needs; developing, communicating, building support for, and implementing business strategies, plans, and practices; analyzing costs and forecasts and incorporating them into business plans; determining and supporting resource requirements; evaluating operational processes; measuring outcomes to ensure desired results; identifying and capitalizing on improvement
opportunities; promoting a customer environment; and demonstrating adaptability and sponsoring continuous learning.
- Developing and implementing strategies to attract and maintain a highly skilled and engaged workforce by diagnosing capability gaps; recruiting, selecting, and developing talent; supporting mentorship, workforce development, and succession planning; and leveraging the capabilities of new and existing talent.
- Cultivating an environment where associates respect and adhere to company standards of integrity and ethics by integrating these values into all programs and practices; developing consequences for violations or non-compliance; and supporting the Open Door Policy.
- Developing and leverages internal and external partnerships and networks to maximize the achievement of business goals by sponsoring and leading key community outreach and involvement initiatives; engaging key stakeholders in the development, execution, and evaluation of appropriate business plans and initiatives; and supporting associate efforts in these areas.
The above information has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed in the role. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job. The full Job Description can be made available as part of the hiring process.
Outlined below are the required minimum qualifications for this position. If none are listed, there are no minimum qualifications.Minimum Qualifications
Bachelor’s degree in Business, Human Resources, Communications, Education, or related field and 5 years’ experience in adult learning, training
content development, or related area OR 7 years’ experience in adult learning, training content development, or related area.
Outlined below are the optional preferred qualifications for this position. If none are listed, there are no preferred qualifications.Leading a cross-functional team, Project Management, SupervisoryMasters: Human Resources, Masters: Learning and DevelopmentProject Management - Project Management Professional - Certification, Six Sigma - Certification